CHIPS – Cycle Highway Innovations for Smarter People, Transport and Spatial Planning
CHIPS (Cycle Highways Innovation for smarter People Transport and Spatial Planning) will develop and promote cycle highways as an effective and cost efficient low carbon solution for commuting towards and from urban employment poles. CHIPS will demonstrate that, especially in combination with the growing number of e-bikes, cycle highway innovation can effectively get commuters out of their cars.
Project partners from Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK will develop solutions that will help regions and mobility stakeholders to:
- Position cycle highways as a new mobility product
- Overcome physical and behavioural barriers that keep commuters from using cycle highways
- Maximize synergies between cycle highways and trains, buses and cars
- Upgrade cycle highways to key structuring elements in future spatial planning
- Monitor performance and assess impact
In the CHIPS project CycleSPEX is applied to test the readibility and wayfinding of cycling highways in a virtual invironment.